Benefits of Switching to Organic Bedding
- As people become more aware of the ecological problems, organic products become more relevant.
- Organic bedding is different from the non-organic version in many ways – the growing process of the corps, the harvesting methods, and producing techniques.
- Switching to organic bedding is a smart choice because it is nature and health-friendly, much higher quality, and much more durable than regular bedding.
There were times when the most important factor when choosing the right bedding set was the appearance. Luckily, times have changed! Now, we pay attention not only to the color of the sheets but also to the quality of the fabric it is made of.
Since we spend a significant amount of time in bed, it is not surprising that we constantly look for better products to maximize the quality of our sleep. There are loads of different types and materials bedding sets are made from as well as ranging from very cheap to very expensive. Switching to organic bedding can seem expensive at first but it is totally worth it! Why? You’ll find out after you read this article!
What Do We Call Organic Products
First things first, how are organic products different?
- Organic plants, such as cotton, linen, bamboo… are grown, collected, and processed differently than conventionally grown ones.
- Organic grains are grown without using any toxic pesticides and using significantly less water.
- No harmful chemicals are used when producing organic materials.
- Organic products are made from GOTS- certified organic substances. That means that manufacturers who produce certain organic products, such as sustainable bed sheets, have to follow very strict rules approved by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and comply with the highest standards in order to produce the highest quality products.
- Organic bedding is sometimes called ethical bedding because of the way it has been grown, collected, and manufactured. Such a way is eco-friendly, sustainable, and promotes a healthy working environment for the employees working in such an industry.
Why Choose Organic Bedding
Now that you know how organic products are different from the ones that are sprayed with pesticides and later mixed with synthetic materials, it’s time to analyze their benefits. Let’s take the most popular organic material used in the textile industry – COTTON as an example, and analyze why organic cotton bedding is better for your sleep than the one made from conventional cotton.
Organic Bedding is Eco-Friendly
Cotton crops are grown in huge farms and use a lot of water. Knowing the fact that freshwater resources in some countries are becoming a privilege, such high water consumption for cotton farming causes an enormous danger to the residents of the areas where those farms are built.
Another big issue of conventionally grown cotton is pesticides. Cotton farms are sprayed with various toxic chemicals in order to promote growth and prevent crops from various diseases. Harsh chemicals, such as herbicides and pesticides soak into the ground and seep into the freshwater that can end up in local people’s homes. Therefore it poses a huge risk to their health. Not to mention the fact, how the soil and the air are being poisoned by such pesticides.
On the contrary, organic cotton is treated very differently!
- Organic farms expose 60% less carbon dioxide than conventional cotton farms.
- Organic cotton farming does not use any pesticides, therefore employees that work in such farms do not risk their health.
- Organic farms have 88% lower water consumption, and 62% lower energy consumption, compared to conventional cotton farms.
- Organic cotton bedding is exceptionally durable and biodegradable. Very often people recycle old bed sheets and towels that are no longer useful or old. Therefore, choosing organic cotton products is also a sustainable approach.
Organic Products are Health-Friendly
As conventionally grown cotton is sprayed with harsh chemicals, it is very natural that the products made of such cotton have some considerable disadvantages:
- Conventional cotton has many different additives, such as pesticides, heavy metals, bleach, dyes that can cause various allergies, skin itchiness, respiratory diseases, and other health issues.
- As a result, such cotton is not suitable for allergic people, not to mention the babies and children in general. As a matter of fact, for some people, it can be even dangerous to sleep in them.
On the other hand, organic cotton (just like linen) sheets are completely safe to sleep in for all the people – even those with allergies.
Organic Sheets are Comfortable
If the fact that organic cotton sheets are nature and health-friendly does not seem convincing enough to you – maybe the thing that they are also very comfortable will do?
- Organic cotton linens feel softer to the skin. The way the organic cotton is manufactured and the fact that it does not contain any harsh chemicals make the organic cotton sheets so naturally soft and comfy that you can instantly feel how they are different from the synthetic materials.
- Organic cotton bed covers are very breathable. That’s simply a lifesaver during the hot and dry summer nights! Organic cotton sheets keep you cool and wick the moisture away while you sleep no matter how hot the room temperature. Thanks to the natural fibers – such sheets also perfectly isolate the temperature and keep you warm when it’s cold outside.
- Organic cotton has a neutral smell. Unlike synthetic materials, organic cotton bedding does not have any specific or annoying smell. Therefore it highly contributes to the even better sleep experience.
TIP: Natural linen bedding, in this case, has even more advantages than organic cotton bedding. Not only bedding made of organic linen is scent-free and very breathable - in addition to that, linen sheets are also 5 times more durable than cotton sheets. Besides, organic linen bedding absorbs moisture and sweat much better than cotton.
Organic Bedding is Higher Quality
The last cherry on top when talking about organic bedding is an exceptional quality of it!
- Organic cotton crops are hand-picked one by one while conventional cotton crops are harvested by the harvesting machine. This is a huge difference because the harvesting machine mixes the seeds and oil of the crop together, and those parts later have to be separated using harsh chemicals. Meanwhile, while picking by hand, crops are already cleaner, therefore the hot water and vegetable soap are enough to clean them entirely.
- Pesticides and chemicals used in standard cotton production make the sheets less durable and resistant, therefore they are not sustainable.
- Organic sheets do not contain toxic chemicals and are made of a pure substance, therefore they are stronger and last much longer.
All things considered, in the long run, making the switch to organic bedding would actually save you some cash.
All right! I’ll stop right here because I think I made my point very clear about why it is better to choose organic bedding instead of a traditional (synthetic) one.
I know, sometimes the lower price makes up our decision and we think that there is not that much difference between one or another type of material. However, as you already know – there is a big difference.
Once again – not only organic materials, like cotton or linen are eco-friendly, but they are also healthier, much more comfortable, and higher quality than regular sheets. Making the switch to organic cotton or linen bedding means investing in the quality of your sleep!