What is Bed Linen?
- Bed linens (or bedding in the USA) are an essential part of any bed;
- The type, style, and purpose of bed linen have changed over history and in different parts of the world;
- In the article below, we will look a little more into what bed linen is.
Bed Linens bear different names in different places around the world. For instance, in Australia, bed linen is called Manchester, while in the US, it goes by the name bedding. However, regardless of its name, the bedroom decor is never complete without suitable bed linen. In the article below, we will explain the history of bed linens, types, and sizes.
History of Bed Linen
Bed linen was first used in 3000 BC by the Egyptian Kings, who raised their beds and decorated them with quality and rich linen.
Besides the Egyptian kings, the Roman Empire also embraced the use of bed linens by stuffing their mattresses with feathers and decorated the top of their beds with various paintings like bronze, gold, and silver. Since then, bed linens have evolved to what we have today, and now everyone can use them, unlike before when only the ruling class used them.
Initially, bed linens had a center stitch on a rectangular fabric, but the recent linens come with hems on top and bottom. They have changed from being stiff and coarse to plush and soft.
Bed linens come in two styles, fitted and flat. Fitted linen is used when first preparing a bed, while the flat one is used to cover the fitted linen.
Bed Linen Types
- Bedspread: This linen is light and thin and has to cover the whole bed. It spreads out on the bed until it touches the floor. Most materials used to make bedspreads include chenille, wool, polyester, and cotton.
- Duvet: Duvet is chic bedding that has extensive comfort. It is covered with a duvet cover that protects it from wearing out or tearing. Most of the time, the cover is made with decoration and has zip or buttons to make an easy duvet. Across the UK, a duvet is the most used American bedding as a top sheet.
- Coverlet: These are woven linen materials mainly applied on the foot of the bed or pillows. They are primarily used at night, in little inns and hotel rooms.
- Flat Sheets: Flat sheets are used as fitted or top sheets to cover the bed in most regions, although the most used flat sheet in the UK is the duvet.
- Comforter: As the name suggests, the comforter bed sheet incorporates fantastic stuff to create comforts. Primarily, the comforter is shaped rectangular or square in different sizes and decorations or colors. In some regions, comforters are used as a top sheet, for example, in the North American area.
- Blanket: Blankets have unique uses and can be used instead of a duvet though some people can use them as a comforter. Regardless of the way they are used, blankets offer warmth besides being attractive. They are a perfect choice for baby beds as they are made from cotton, wool, microfiber plush, or even fabric blends.
Bed Linen Sizes
Throughout the Americas bed linen sizes are standard. The most popular sizes are:
- Twin: 38” x 75” (96.5 x 190.5 cm)
- Twin XL: 38” x 80” (96.5 x 203 cm)
- Full: 53” x 75” (134.5 x 190.5 cm)
- Queen: 60” x 80” (152.5 x 203 cm)
- King: 76” x 80” (193 x 203 cm)
- California King: 72” x 84” (183 x 213 cm)
All in all, bed linens are becoming popular and getting the most usage from people worldwide. Unlike what they used to be before, bed linens are now available in different types and sizes to fit different people’s interests.